New server progress
I think we have now fixed all the problems with the big Cactus and Co website.
There are now 23 domains remaining to be transferred in the next ten days or so. Of these 11 are simply waiting for their owners to change the name server settings.
Yesterday I spent until 3 am this morning probing and diagnosing the email problems I had earlier this week. I still don't know exactly what is causing it but I do now know approximately where it is happening and how to work round it. It is affecting mail sent from 'cactus-mall.com' through my outgoing mail gateway at BT. The mail is accepted for onward delivery after checking that it coming from an authorised posting domain and checking the validity of the users email box. Further into mail transmission a bounce occurs with an error message of either the recipients host being unknown or the mailbox not existing, in spite of it having been checked at the gateway and existing to my certain knowledge.
The interesting fact is that mail sent out from 'bcss.org.uk' (another authorised domain for posting through the gateway) gets forwarded without any problems. The difference being that bcss.org.uk is on the new server while cactus-mall.com is still on the old server. I strongly suspect that work Navisite has been doing recently on the server has either screwed up the MX records or they may have added anti relaying software. Until I get cactus-mall.com shifted therefore most of my email will be posted from 'bcss.org.uk'.